Occasional paper no. 4
The role of simulations in the authentic learning for national security policy development.
Dr. Henk Eijkman
The National Security College has commissioned this report by Dr. Henk Eijkman, The role of simulations in the authentic learning for national security policy development: Implications for practice to examine the following areas:
- The place of authentic learning in postgraduate education.
- The methods used to simulate policy development, and related activities like strategy planning, in educational environments relevant to national security policy-making.
- Policy simulation methods that could enhance learning at the College and similar institutions, including teaching skills, technology and resource implications.
- The roles of technology in enhancing learning in policy development simulations.
- Ways to assess learning effectiveness through simulation.
The aim of this report is to provide the College with an evidence-based case and examples of practice that illustrate the use of authentic learning and simulations in post-graduate and on-campuslearning environments, especially when applied national security policy education.