Areas of expertise
- Defence Studies 160604
- Government And Politics Of Asia And The Pacific 160606
- International Relations 160607
Research interests / areas of expertise
- Indian strategic affairs
- Indian Ocean security
- India's security and defence relationships
1. Competition and coexistence between India and China in the maritime domain. This project considers how China and India interact as major maritime powers in the Indo-Pacific region. Key questions to be considered by the project include:
- Understanding Chinese and Indian strategic ambitions in the maritime realm and perceptions of the legitimate maritime security roles of each other.
- How the interests of China and India will intersect in the Indian Ocean and Western Pacific.
- How developments in Chinese and Indian trade and investment flows will affect maritime security.
- Perceptions and interests of other key regional players in the Sino-Indian strategic relationship.
2. Strategic competition in the Bay of Bengal. This project examines strategic competition in the huge bay comprised of the Bay of Bengal and Andaman Sea. In coming years this area, along with the South China Sea, may come to represent one of the key pivot points for maritime security along the Indo-Pacific littoral. The book will focus on the growth of India’s role as a security provider to the region and its impact on regional dynamics.
3. Australia in the Indian Ocean. This project will examine the development of Australia’s strategic role in the Indian Ocean from imperial to contemporary times. It will focus on the competing imperatives faced by Australia in supporting its alliance partners, especially in the Middle East, taking an active role in the security of Southeast Asia, as well as addressing its own continental security. For over a century, the Indian Ocean region has been the scene of a constant whipsaw between Australia’s competing strategic priorities – is this Australia’s strategic destiny?
- Brewster, D 2015, 'Indian Strategic Thinking About the Indian Ocean: Striving Towards Strategic Leadership', India Review, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 221-237.
- Brewster, D 2015, 'An Indian Ocean dilemma: Sino-Indian rivalry and China's strategic vulnerability in the Indian Ocean', Journal of the Indian Ocean Region, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 48-59.
- Brewster, D 2015, 'Murky waters, dangerous currents: India, Pakistan, China and the coming nuclearisation of the Indian Ocean', Journal of the Indian Ocean Region, pp. 1-4.
- Brewster, D 2014, India's Ocean: The Story of India's Bid for Regional Leadership, Routledge, Abingdon and New York.
- Brewster, D 2014, 'Developments in Australia-India Relations: The odd couple of the Indo-Pacific', Journal of Indian Ocean Studies, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 172-186.
- Brewster, D 2014, 'India's engagements in Southeast Asia: Singapore, Vietnam and Indonesia', in Ian Hall (ed.), The Engagement of India: Strategies and Responses, Georgetown University Press, Washington, D.C., pp. 147-168.
- Brewster, D 2014, 'Dividing Lines: Evolving Mental Maps of the Bay of Bengal', Asian Security, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 151-167.
- Brewster, D 2014, 'Beyond the String of Pearls?: Is there really a Sino-Indian security dilemma in the Indian Ocean?', Journal of the Indian Ocean Region, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 133-149.
- Brewster, D 2014, 'Strategic Convergences between India and Australia in Southeast Asia', Journal of Indian Ocean Studies, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 1-21.
- Brewster, D & Rai, C 2013, 'Operation Lal Dora: India's Aborted Military Intervention in Mauritius', Asian Security, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 62-74.
- Brewster, D 2013, 'India's Defense Strategy and the India-ASEAN Relationship', India Review, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 151-164.
- Brewster D, 2013, 'Book Review – China and India: great power rivals,' Contemporary South Asia, Vol.21, No.2, pp.181-2.
- Brewster D, 2013, 'India’s Defence Strategy and the India-ASEAN Relationship' in Ajaya Kumar Das (ed.), India-ASEAN Defence Relations, RSIS Monograph No.28, Singapore: S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies
- Brewster, D, 2013, “Book Review - Total Destruction of the Tamil Tigers: The Rare Victory of Sri Lanka’s Long War,” Journal of the Indian Ocean Region, Vol.9 No.2, pp.247-8.
- Brewster, D 2012, India as an Asia Pacific Power, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, Australia.
- Brewster, D 2011, 'Indian Strategic Thinking about East Asia', Journal of Strategic Studies, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 825-852.
- Brewster D 2011, 'India and Australia in Indo-Pacific Security,' in Dennis Rumley (ed.), The Indian Ocean Region: Security, Stability and Sustainability in the 21st Century - Report of the Australia India Institute Task Force on Indian Ocean Security, Melbourne: Australia India Institute, pp.96-119
- Brewster, D 2011, 'The relationship between India and Indonesia: An evolving security partnership?', Asian Survey, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 221-244.
- Brewster D and Rai R, 2011, 'Flowers Are Blooming: the story of the India Navy's secret operation in the Seychelles,' The Naval Review, Vol.99, No.1, pp.58-62
- Brewster, D 2010, 'Australia and India: The Indian Ocean and the limits of strategic convergence', Australian Journal of International Affairs, vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 549-565.
- Brewster, D 2010, 'An Indian Sphere of Influence in the Indian Ocean?', Security Challenges, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1-20.
- Brewster, D 2010, 'The Australia-India Security Declaration: The Quadrilateral Redux?', Security Challenges, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1-9.
- Brewster, D 2010, 'The India-Japan Security Relationship: An Enduring Security Partnership?', Asian Security, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 95-120.
- Brewster, D 2010, 'India's Developing Relationship with South Korea: A Useful Friend in East Asia', Asian Survey, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 402-425.
- Brewster, D 2009, 'India's Strategic Partnership with Vietnam: The Search for a Diamond on the South China Sea?', Asian Security, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 24-44.
- Brewster, D 2009, 'India's security partnership with Singapore', Pacific Review, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 597-618.
- Brewster, D 2014, 'The India-Australia Security and Defence Relationship: Developments, Constraints and Prospects', Security Challenges, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 65-85.
- Brewster D 2013, 'The Australian Vantage Point', in Thomas G. Mahnken (ed.), Indo-Pacific Maritime Security in the 21st Century: Proceedings of an International Conference, Newport: US Naval War College, 2013, pp.29-34